Monday, April 4, 2011

Yoga Pose Of The Week: Namaskarasana

Namaskarasana, Yoga, Yoga Pose

Basic Instruction:
From standing with feet hip distance apart with toes pointing slightly outwards, begin to lower seat such that the seat is barely hovering over the ground. Place palms together in front of heart, and use elbows to help push knees apart.

Tips:
- The knees are to be in line with the second toe.
- If squatting so low is too uncomfortable, place a block (or several) underneath the seat to assist in the posture.
- Forearms form a parallel line to the floor.
- Chest is lifted so that the heart is reaching towards the clasped palms.
- Shoulders are pulled away and down from the ears.

Questions To Notice In This Pose:
- If my eyes are open, am I finding myself distracted by what I see around me? Is it possible to try to close my eyes and try to listen to myself?
- If my eyes are closed, am I finding myself being distracted by holding onto my thoughts? Is it possible to try to notice my thoughts and let them pass by?
- Is my jaw tight? Or my eyebrows furrowed? Is it possible to relax them?
- Are my ankles straining or my hips straining to maintain the posture? Can I find a way to release some of the strain with the assistance of blocks?
- Am I feeling strain as my hips open? Or am I feeling sensation as my hips open?
- Are my shoulders slumping forward? Is it possible to release them and allow my chest and heart to be broad?

This Pose In My Practice:
I love this pose. Squatting has never been a problem for me (knock on wood), so I don’t mind having my knees bend that deep.

What I enjoy most about the pose is the openness I feel in my hips as my elbows push my thighs apart. I also enjoy the feeling of my spine lengthening when I focus on lifting my chest in the pose.

Even though most of time the pose is relatively easy for me, there are times when the pose can also be difficult. I find that when I sit for long periods of time my inner thighs tighten and I feel resistance to the pose. It is in those moments I am reminded that humility is important. What I perceive as easy one day can easily be not so easy the next.

But this is the practice, and things change day-by-day. So I keep coming back to my mat to see what unfolds.

Loving Thoughts. Loving Words. Loving Heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...